Interesting Facts About Mexico
There are many interesting facts about Mexico. This country is the United States' most populous neighbor, and is the third largest Latin American country. Read on to learn more interesting facts about this fascinating country:
- There are more Spanish speakers in Mexico than any other country in the world. Most of Mexico's 100 million citizens are Spanish speakers. This dwarfs the number of Spanish speakers who live in Spain, which is only 35 million.
- The three colors on Mexico's flag -- red, white and green -- have philosophical significance. The red symbolizes the blood shed by Mexican patriots. The white, the purity of the country's philosophical ideals and the green represents victory and hope.
- The border between Mexico and the United States is the second longest contiguous border between any two countries on Earth. It measures 2000 miles in length. The only one longer is the one between the United States and Canada.
- Mexicans comprise the largest group of legal immigrants who have come to the United States. At 9.8 million, they make up 30 percent of the legal immigrant population in the U.S. It's estimated that another 5.3 million Mexican citizens are in the U.S. illegally.
- More silver is produced in Mexico than in any other country. One fact about Mexico that you may not know is that it contains a region known as the Silver Belt, which has been heavily mined over the years to extract the metal. This metal is made into jewelry and also used for industrial purposes.
Posted on: Mar. 31, 2011