Interesting Questions For First Dates
Have a first date coming up and need to be prepared with interesting questions for first dates? Worried you’ll get nervous and conversation will fall flat? Don’t stress, just yet. Use these ten interesting questions to get the conversation flowing.
- “What’s a typical weekend for you?” You can find out a lot about a person, based on how they spend their weekends. Who she spends her time with and the activities she participates in will tell you a lot about her personality. You might also find out you both frequent the same bar, or are members of the same gym. This is a good first question to get the conversation ball rolling.
- “If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?” Most people enjoy traveling. Asking your date where she’d like to travel will give you good segues into a number of other topics. It will also give you hints about her personality.
- “If you could meet any person, dead or alive, who would you meet?” This question will help you learn about the types of people she admires or finds interesting. You never know. You might both have a secret desire to meet Elvis.
- “If you had a million dollars to give to charity, which one would you pick?” You can learn a lot about your date, based on the charities she supports. A million dollar gift to support AIDS relief in Africa might lead to a conversation about volunteer work she did in college. Or maybe she has an entrepreneurial spirit and has already started her own charity.
- “What’s your funniest nickname?” Many children end up acquiring strange little nicknames over the course of your childhood. These nicknames often are the result of something funny that happened. Asking your date about a funny nickname will often lead to a funny or entertaining story about her childhood.
- “If you had to eat one food for the rest of your life, what would you choose?” This is an interesting question for a first date because you can learn a lot about a person based on the foods they eat. If she answers broccoli you might make different assumptions about her then if she answers ice cream.
- “Who was your biggest celebrity crush as a teenager?” Questions that build dialogue are a good place to start. Who knows, you might both have a secret fondness for MC Hammer. Building a bond from the beginning, even if it’s over something silly, will make you stand apart from her other suitors.
- “Are you a morning person or a night owl?” This question tells you a lot about the timing of dates you should plan for the future. If you date is a morning person you might suggest an early morning yoga or coffee date. If she’s a night owl, dinner and drinks would be a better call.
- “Do you live to work, or work to live?” It’s good to know a person’s personal philosophy on work from the beginning. If she’s a workaholic, you better be prepared to stay on the back burner. If she’s a free spirit, you should be ready to drop your work to go on that three-week backpacking trip she’s been planning.
- “What was the most embarrassing thing that happened to you as a child?” It’s always a good idea to ask a few questions that to check for humility. You might want to share an embarrassing story about yourself first, then ask her to reciprocate. A good sense of humor is a very important character trait to check for on the first date.
Use the above interesting questions for first dates when you feel like you’re stuck without something to say. Don’t worry about saying the wrong thing, or not having enough to say. One of these questions should easily lead into a few other conversations, and before you know it you’ll be talking like old friends.