With this Italian Easter pie recipe, you will make an Italian tradition, "Easter Pie", is a pie crust filled with cheese, eggs and meat. This is a simplified recipe made to give you a savory pie with little effort and time consumed in the kitchen. This recipe will give you the directions to make great pie crust dough, or you can simply buy pastry dough to make this meal much simpler but still taste great.
Italian Easter pie recipe dough ingredients:
- ½ cup (125ml) scalded milk
- 4 tbsp (60ml) sugar
- 2 oz (60ml) yeast
- 2/3 cup (150ml) warm water
- 1 ½ tsp (8.5ml) salt
- 2 eggs (well beaten)
- 7 tbsp (105ml) soft butter
- 5 ½ cups (1200ml) pre-sifted flour
- Carefully add the yeast to the water and let it foam.
- Cool the scalded milk and add the eggs, sugar and salt to it.
- Pour the flour out onto a hard surface table and make a well in the middle. Add all ingredients into this open well and carefully work it into the flour.
- Knead the dough thoroughly and put it into a greased bowl until it has risen.
- After it has risen, knead again until satiny.
Italian Easter pie recipe filling ingredients:
- ½ lb (250g) salami
- ½ lb (250g) capicola
- ½ lb (250g) mortadella w/ prosciutto
- 1 ½ lb (750g) loose Italian sausage
- 1 lb (500g) ham
- ¼ lb (125g) unsalted tuma
- ½ lb (250g) provolone (chunks)
- ¾ cup (175ml) grated romano
- 1 ½ lb (750g) ricotta
- 1 lb (500g) mozzarella
- 10 hard-boiled eggs
- 6 eggs to mix with ricotta
- In the first step of this Italian Easter pie recipe, you will need to prepare the meats. Sauté the sausage in the pan until the color changes, then add all the meat to the sausage and let simmer until it's warm. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Mix the six eggs with the ricotta and then mix it with the meat. Make sure that the pan of meat has been properly drained of oil and fat.
- Grate the cheese and chop the hard boiled eggs. Add them to a separate bowl and mix together.
- Using the risen dough you need to make two separate 12 X 16 inch pieces. Use a fork to make holes in one 12 X 16 inch piece for ventilation.
- Take the cheese and egg mix in the separate bowl, spread it on the piece of dough that you just pricked holes in. Add the meat to the top of the cheese mix and then repeat adding layers of cheeses mix and meats for a 3:2 cheese mix/meat ratio.
- Add the second 12 X 16 inch dough piece to the top and pinch the ends together to form a pie crust.
- The final step in this Italian Easter pie recipe is to bake the pie. Place the pie in the oven at 350 degree setting for 40 minutes or until golden brown on top. Remove the pie from the oven and brush the milk and egg yolk mix to the pie crust for a great golden color crust.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.