Jailbreak IPod Touch
To run non-Apple supported applications on your device, you will have to jailbreak iPod Touch. It is a difficult task, but it's necessary if you want to be able to do things on your device that are not supported by Apple.
You will need:
- iPod Touch
- Download a Jailbreak tool. There are several different versions of Jailbreak on the Internet. They are all compatible with both Windows and Mac computers. Download the program to your computer.
- Run the .exe file. Run the Jailbreak .exe file on your computer. Allow it to install, and save it to your computer's C: drive for quick and easy access. It's best to jailbreak iPod Touch from your main drive rather than from an external hard drive.
- Open the Jailbreak program. When the install is complete, open the program on your desktop. Let it sit open for a few minutes while you do the other things needed in order to jailbreak your iPod Touch.
- Open iTunes. You will need the iTunes program open on your desktop. This is a mandatory step you must take to jailbreak your iPod Touch.
- Connect your device. Hook up your iPod Touch to your computer via its USB cable. It is important to do this before you jailbreak your iPod Touch.
- Back up your device. Make a backup of your iTunes library and synchronize you iPod Touch. This is important to do prior to jailbreaking your device.
- Go back to the Jailbreak program. It will appear as a small window. You will see a message stating that your iPod Touch is connected. If you do not see this, close the program, disconnect your device and reconnect it, then reopen the Jailbreak tool.
- Click "Jailbreak." The jailbreaking process will then start. Do not play around with your iPod Touch, and don't disconnect the USB cable. The best thing to do while you jailbreak your iPod Touch is to get up and walk away from your computer.
- Disconnect your device. When you see the jailbreaking is finished, you can disconnect your iPod Touch. You will know it is done because the device will return to the homescreen.
- Restart your device. You will see a new icon called "Cydia" on your homescreen. This means you have successfully jailbroken your iPod Touch.
Posted on: Apr. 11, 2011