If you’re thinking about getting a Jitterbug cell phone for an elderly relative, take a look at these Jitterbug phone complaints before you make a purchase. On the surface, Jitterbug cell phones seem like it’s the perfect cell phone for an older person to use. It has a large easy to read screen and big buttons, and they have a service where you update your phone book by contacting customer service. But looking at the hundreds of Jitterbug complaints out there you get the feeling that everything the Jitterbug offers is an elaborate scam to take advantage of elderly people and their caregivers.
- No detailed billing statements – Of the litany of Jittebug complaints, one of the most common was their lack of detailed billing statements. Without a detailed billing statement it’s difficult to keep track of how your minutes are being used and what you’re being charged. The only way you can get a detailed billing statement from Jitterbug is to call customer service to request one. In recent years Jitterbug has updated their website so that you can request detailed billing statement online, but the fact that detailed statements aren’t generated automatically and still need to be requested is still troubling to a lot of users.
- The old bait and switch – One of the things that attracts many elderly people and their caregivers to the Jitterbug is their pay as you go plans. After all, no one wants to spend loads on a monthly bill if your Gran is only going to be using the phone for emergencies and only makes a few calls a month. The internet is littered with Jitterbug complaints where people who had signed up for their pre-paid plans have been switched to monthly contract plans and with the very bills that they hoped the Jitterbug would help them avoid.
- Small coverage areas – When you see the Jitterbug commercials on TV the coverage map that they show you leads you to believe that their service covers most of the United States. In reality, Jitterbug’s service area is relatively small and relies on third party cell phone providers to provide service to their phones. Dropped calls, static signals and not being able to hear people is one of the most common Jitterbug complaints that you run into.
- Hidden fees – Perhaps one of the most troublesome of the Jitterbug complaints is their penchant for hidden fees. Many customers have been offered a free 30 day trial for a Jitterbug phone only to be hit with shipping and activation fees during the trial period.
- Jitterbug is hard to get rid of – It almost goes without saying that if you have a service that you don’t want you should be able to cancel that service whenever you feel like it. Sure, the company will try to offer you all sorts of things to entice you to keep the service, but in the end, they will allow you to cancel your service with the hopes that there will be another way for their service to get back into your good graces. With the Jitterbug, canceling your service is easier said than done. There are thousands of Jitterbug complaints filed by customers who were not allowed to cancel their service because they were entered into contracts that they were not aware existed and caregivers who are not allowed to cancel service because their name isn’t on the account.
- They charge for everything – Ease of use is another feature that attracts the elderly and their caregivers to the Jitterbug. Most elderly people don’t want to take the time to work the advanced features that most of our cell phones have and being able to call customer service to have people added to your phone book is a convenience that makes the concept of having a cell phone easier to manage. But what they don’t tell you is that each call you make to customer service to update your phone book is billed against your account. You can find more than one Jitterbug complaint where people have used up and gone over their minutes because of calls to update their phone book.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
You’re Not a Man Unless You Can Cook These 5 Meals
You're not off the hook: This list includes dessert.