John Lennon may have been one of the most successful singer/songwriters of the 20th century but, as you will notice, much of what he said is still relevant today. Outside of his musical career he was famous for his wit, his political activism, and his controversial statements. If you wish everyone would just "give peace a chance" or even if you're just a Beatles fan, then you'll love these John Lennon quotes.
- "All We Are Saying Is Give Peace A Chance" During their unprecedented 1969 "Bed-In", John Lennon and Yoko Ono decided to forgo the traditional honeymoon and instead host a public honeymoon from their hotel bed. During this media event, they recorded "Give Peace A Chance" with twelve other people. More than just a song, the quote became a motto of the anti-war movement. It has since become one of the most famous John Lennon Quotes of all time.
- "War Is Over If You Want It!" Though it is remembered from "Happy Xmas", "War is Over If you want it" didn't originate in the recording studio. Instead, it was a quote from billboards all over the world that John and Yoko financed to protest the Vietnam War. Presently, Yoko Ono has poster versions for free download in over 100 languages at her website.
- "All you need is love" When the BBC commissioned the Beatles to write the U.K. contribution for the first worldwide television broadcast, they wrote the universal "All You Need Is Love." Hippies still live and die by this motto, and many see it as one of the most touching Beatles songs.
- "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one…" In "Imagine", arguably his most popular post-Beatles hit, John Lennon sang of a world with no religion or country. In years since, the song has been banned, praised, and has even become a symbol for atheists worldwide,
- "We're more popular than Jesus now." In arguably his more controversial statement, John Lennon was misunderstood as claiming superiority over Jesus. In actuality, he was referencing the decline of Christianity worldwide (a point which the church itself had raised). In spite of this, The Beatles' records were burned and steam rolled all over America, and their popularity took a temporary blow. During the tour that followed, Beatles concerts were picketed by the KKK. They never toured as "The Beatles" again.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!