Kobe Bryant Quotes
Though he's known for his play in the National Basketball Association, not his speaking abilities, Kobe Bryant quotes provide a personal look into side little seen of the Los Angeles Lakers star. When he's not running his mouth on or off of the court, apologizing for indiscretions or being fined by the NBA, the basketball star can boast numerous records like five championship rings, two NBA Finals MVP awards and thirteen NBA All-Star selections. With all that success, surely there comes some controversy, namely in these top Kobe Bryant quotes.
- "I don't want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant." - Ah, the life of Kobe Bryant must be tough when he's constantly compared to the likes of Michael Jordan. The Lakers All-Star was often put in the same category as the Chicago Bulls great, and especially grilled about their similar legacies when the two played one another in the late 1990s. Result: everal Kobe Bryant quotes where the basketball player sought to declare himself independent from Jordan, even telling various reporters exactly the differences between him and Jordan.
- "I didn't force her to do anything against her will. I'm innocent." - Responding to a sexual assault charge filed against him in Colorado in 2003, this Kobe Brant quote came as part of a public apology to the 19-year-old hotel employee in the wake of the scandal. While Bryant settled out of court with the young lady and never admitted guilt, the stunning $4 million diamond he gave to wife Vanessa in the scandal's wake told a different story.
- Kobe Bryant's gay slur - While we'll spare you the actual Kobe Bryant quote in this case, this lack of judgment cost the NBA star big bucks. At the April 14, 2011, game between the Los Angeles Lakers and the San Antonio Spurs, Bryant was visibly frustrated at referee Bennie Adams after receiving a technical foul. Rather than expressing his frustration in another way, Bryant muttered a gay slur at the official, and right into a live television camera. Few were amused by the outburst, including NBA Commissioner David Stern, who fined the star $100,000.
- "I wouldn't mind being Jewish." - Though religious beliefs are often mentioned by athletes accepting awards, this Kobe Bryant quote actually came from an interesting interview with reporters in Boston. When asked about how few professional American athletes are Jewish, Bryant was open to the idea of converting from his Catholic faith, but soon began to question the reporter and where he was getting his figures from. Unlike many other religious discussions, this one ended well, with other reporters chiming in and Bryant ending the interview with a smile.
- "I'm not clutch." - Once again telling of the sad life that is being one of the best basketball players in the country, this Kobe Bryant quote came with great sarcasm in May 2011 when the Lakers were playing the Dallas Mavericks in the Conference Semifinals of the NBA Playoffs. Though he was named the MVP NBA All-Star Game just months earlier, perhaps he was right as the Lakers, playing under head coach Phil Jackson for the last time, were swept by the Mavericks in four games.