The largest countries in the world include Russia, Canada, United States of America, China and Brazil. Let's take a quick look at the five largest countries and how much of the world they actually cover.
- Russia is the largest country, covering more than 11.5% of the world—that's over over 6.5 million miles! Russia is also the birthplace of the first man to ever travel in space, Yuri Gagarin, who orbited the Earth on April12, 1961. Being one of the largest countries in the world, Russia has the largest military tank force.
- Canada has the largest body of fresh water in the world and one of the longest border between it and the United States. Of the largest countries, Canada is second, covering 6.7% of the world (almost 4 million miles). Canada has two official languages, English and French, and tends to divine their ethnicity as “not American.”
- The United States of America covers 6.5% of the world and is combination of 50 states, hence its name. The US is the first country to use nuclear power in bulk and was the first country to successfully land a person on the moon, with Neil Armstrong's moonwalk on July 20, 1969. The US is also a permanent member of the United Nations.
- China is one of the world's oldest countries, with its known birth date in 221 B.B. China covers 6.4% of the world and has the largest population in the world at just over 1,340,000,000. China is technologically advanced and has been working on renewable hydro, wind and solar energy technology. Despite being tech-savvy, China has maintained a strong connection with its cultural heritage.
- Brazil contains the Amazon Rain Forest and is the biggest exporter of coffee in the world, producing more than 2.2 million metric tons a year. Brazil is also home to the world's largest population of Roman Catholicism. Most Brazilians love soccer (called football as in Europe) with Brazil winning the World Soccer Cup five times.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Cooking With Booze: Stiegl Radler Crockpot Carnitas
Perfect hot-weather tacos, with pork simmered in summer beer.
10 Things to Talk About This Weekend
Game of Thrones bloopers, sex geckos and more conversation starters for any social situation.
Liev Schreiber Is a Bit Nicer Than Ray Donovan
With Season 2 underway, the actor explains how he relates to the nefarious character he plays.