The following Latino fraternities are some of the most presitigious Greek organizations in the entire nation. While the traditional sororities and fraternities are great, these Latino fraternities have come out from the depths of anonymity within the past few years to truly become a collective force to be reckoned with. If you're looking to meet some great people or to have some great fun while in college, considering rushing or learning about these Latino fraternities.
- Alpha Psi Lambda. This is the very first co-educational of the Latino fraternities. Founded in 1985 at Ohio State University, the organization currently has over 1900 members spread across 21 collegiate chapters and five alumni associations. The official flower is the Gold Rose, while the official tree is the Palm Tree. It also happens to be the first Lation fraternity founded at a Big Ten school.
- Gamma Zeta Alpha. Founded in 1987 at the University of California at Chico, this has grown to be one of the most prominent of the Latino fraternities. Despite being a cuiltural interest fraternity, this group does not discriminate in welcoming brothers from all races, inlcuding White, Black, Asian, and Middle Eastern. It is also one of the most philathropic of the Latino fraternities, having been partnered with the Make A Wish foundation, American Diabetes Foundation, and being the only Greek sponsor for the California Academic Decathalon.
- Lambda Alpha Upsilon. While being concentrated around the Eastern United States with fifteen collegiate chapters and three alumni chapters, this is indeed one of the smaller of the Latino fraternities. Founded by sixteen brothers in 1985 at the State University of New York at Buffalo, this Latrino fraternity stresses community responsibility aligned with personal success. This can be evinced from their motto, "¡Venceremos Porque Nacimos Para Triunfar!" which means "We will overcome because we were born to triumph!"
- Lambda Sigma Upsilon. Started at Rutgers University in 1979, this is easily one of the largest Latino fraternities ever. With 58 undergraduate chapters, their presence and commitment to community service is certainly felt across the nation. Many of their philanthropic efforts focus on HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention, having participated in such high-profile events like AIDS WALK NY and Aid for AIDS International.
- Lambda Theta Phi. This non-profit social Latino fraternity was started at Kean College in 1975. Since its humble inception, it has grown to nearly 85 chapters across the nation. It's fundraising effots have become the talk of the nation, garnering them accolades from groups such as the American Red Cross, the American Heart Association, and even members of the US Congress.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!