Learn To Do Mixed Wrestling Sleeper Hold
To learn to do a mixed wrestling sleeper hold, you need to understand the basics of different types of wrestling. A version of the sleeper hold can be done in different types of wrestling, including professional, collegiate and Greco-Roman. Once you get a grasp on these different wrestling styles, you will be able to do a wrestling sleeper hold that mixes together concepts from each style.
- Scoring Collegiate, folkstyle and Greco-Roman wrestling are not scored based on who gets the final pin, as professional wrestling is. Instead, you receive points based on how well you perform the wrestling move. Generally, you can receive one to three points per move. You can also lose points if you perform the mixed wrestling sleeper hold incorrectly.
- Start Position Before you can execute the mixed wrestling sleeper hold, you need to know the correct time to start the move. Before you begin, you should position yourself behind your opponent. No matter what wrestling style you’re involved with, taking your opponent by surprise will always help give you the upper hand.
- The Sleeper Hold Once you’re behind your opponent, throw one arm around his neck with your elbow in the middle. Do not put pressure on the front of his neck. Then, apply pressure by squeezing your arm. Again, the pressure should be on the sides of his neck, not the front. Push your opponent forward and keep squeezing. This move can cut off his oxygen and put him to sleep for a few seconds.
- Vary the Move Depending on the type of wrestling you’re involved with, there will be different rules. For example, in professional wrestling, the goal is to cut off your opponent’s oxygen until he loses consciousness. However, in other forms of wrestling, such as collegiate and Greco-Roman, the sleeper hold is performed only to subdue an opponent, and it can be referred to as a headlock.
- Safety If you are putting your opponent to sleep with a mixed wrestling sleeper hold, let go the second he starts to go limp. Do not hold him any longer. This can cause long-term health effects, such as brain damage, and in extreme cases, death can occur.