Learn How To Redeem Your Gift Card
If you've received a gift card as a gift, you'll need to learn how to redeem your gift card. Whether you have a store-specific gift card or one that can be used anywhere, you'll be able to use the information listed below to learn how to redeem your gift card.
- Redeem your gift card at the store. If you were given a gift card that can be redeemed at the store, you shouldn't have to do anything more than give the cashier the card. Sometimes, an ID is required, but this is rare.
- Redeem your gift card online. To learn how to redeem your gift card online, you'll need to have your gift card in hand. Flip the card over, and on the back you'll see a silver coated area that will need to be scratched off. Use a coin to scratch it off. A code is located beneath this silver coating, which will be entered at checkout. Once the code is entered, the value of the gift card will be deducted from your total.
- Check the expiration date. If you want to learn how to redeem your gift card, you'll need to be aware of the possibility of an expiration date. This can be found, typically, on the back of the card in small lettering. Most retailers will not let you redeem your gift card past the expiration date, so always be aware of when it expires.
- Check for fees. Some gift cards deduct a fee each time you use it or check the balance. While this seems like an unfair practice, it is happening more and more frequently. Check the back of your gift card to see if fees apply to your particular card.
- Redeem an unwanted gift card. If you've received a card that you don't like, or cannot use, you can learn how to redeem your gift card anyway. Sell it at online auction sites, or trade it for one you actually want at gift card swapping sites.