Learn To Play Guitar
You can expect a lot of work and time ahead of you if you want to learn to play guitar. However, learning the guitar can become an exciting thing to do, especially if you want to play your favorite songs. Here are some tips that can help you learn to play guitar.
In order to learn to play guitar, you will need:
- Guitar with appropriate equipment (i.e. amp and cables, if necessary)
- Instruction book (optional)
- The basics. Take some time to acquaint yourself with the basics. Before and as you learn how to actually play the guitar, you should start learning the notes of each string. Also ensure that the positioning of the guitar is correct. Play around with the angles to get the correct feel—your strumming (dominant) hand should be comfortably able to play, along with different positionings of your fingering (non-dominant) hand.
- Learn major chords. Chords are the building blocks to playing the guitar. Starting with the most basic chords— the major chords—will help you learn and memorize these that you will need to know. In time you will engrain these chords into your muscle memory, which will go a long way in terms of your guitar playing ability. Drill yourself on these chords. Practice strumming with major chords, switching, and returning to get used to them.
- Work on basic songs. You can easily find songs that use three cords. Work on these to practice changing cords, strumming in rhythm, and other aspects of playing the guitar. With a bit of practice you will be able to play the simplest of songs.
Consider working through instruction books or taking guitar lessons. You can learn to play guitar on your own, with the help of a good book.