If you want to learn SEO, you need to have a basic understanding of what SEO is. SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. What does SEO mean? It's basically what any content writer and website master needs to learn in order to rank higher in search engines and gain a reasonable amount of traffic to their content online. SEO is a mixture of the right keywords, key phrases and the format of wording on websites and web articles that form the perfection combination to rank well in all search engines around the web.
- Pick a great title. Whether it's a website name or an article title, make sure that you pick a term that is relevant to your topic and popular, but not too popular. You want to attract a large amount of traffic, but you don't want to have to compete with every other website in the world. Say you want to write an article or create a website on dog grooming. That's broad; you might want to try 'dog grooming at home' or 'dog grooming in Nebraska'.
- Create unique content. With any website or article, using used content already spread throughout the web will only bring it down. Search engines like wording and content that is 100% unique and usually at least 400 to 600 words. This helps the txt robots (robots.txt) read through your website faster and sift through less common information. It also gives viewers something they have not seen before, and they will want more.
- Keywords and key phrases are key. The key to success with great SEO is great wording. You can use free keyword tools such as Google Adwords Tool or WordTracker to find key words and key phrases that are popular, rank well, and not too much competition. In most cases, experimentation is the best way to find what works with keywords. Play around and see what types of key words bring the most traffic.
- You want to pick a main keyword or phrase. Once you have researched and found your main keywords, you want to sprinkle them throughout your content online: once in the header, once or twice in each paragraph and again at closing comments. In all, your keyword phrase should be stated about six to ten times throughout the content. Make it look natural and let it flow together. If you force it, it won't come off as natural.
- Backlinks are important. Backlinks are essential to having success with SEO. Backlinks are natural flowing links from other sites that lead back to your content. In order to have the best backlinks, the site linking to your content should be of the same topic. You can do this through many link exchanges, forums and blogs.
If you follow these basic rules of SEO, you will be on your way to success online in no time. SEO takes time to learn and even longer to perfect. The internet is ever changing the way that people view information. You need to be sure that you stay on top of the latest techniques in order to gain more viewers and readers!