Learning How To Become Veterinary Assistant
If you love animals, you may be interested in learning how to become a veterinary assistant. Becoming a veterinary assistant is a rewarding job that allows you to work with a wide range of animals. Surprisingly, learning how to become veterinary assistant doesn't require a lot of schooling and certification can be earned at your local community college. In most cases, you will only be required to take one class to become qualified.
Things you'll need to become veterinary assistant:
- High school diploma
- Veterinary Assistant certificate
- Register at the college You can take a veterinary assistant class at your local college or online. Most facilities will provide one class, which will educate you on all the aspects of becoming a veterinary assistant. Surprisingly, an instructional class is not always necessary in learning how to become veterinary assistant, but it will make being hired much easier.
- Purchase textbooks There may or may not be textbooks required for your class. Much of what you will learn will come from hands-on experience, but there may be some paper work involved.
- What you will learn Learning to become veterinary assistant requires studying. You will be required to learn basic animal biology, animal breed specifications, animal diseases and conditions as well as basic office skills.
- What does a veterinary assistant do? A veterinary assistant assists the veterinarian. You will assist with injections and physicals, check-in patients, answer the telephone, clean cages and tend to sick animals. Depending on the veterinarian you work for, you may be asked to assist with surgery.
- Is an internship required? Absolutely not. Once you finish your class, you will receive a certificate showing you have successfully completed the coursework. Apply at any local veterinary offices near you.
Since becoming a veterinary assistant is a quick way to a new career, competition can be fierce. Excel in your studies and once you receive your certificate, begin looking for work immediately.