Lemon Bar Recipe
Make a light refreshing dessert tonight using this simple lemon bar recipe. This lemony delight is easy to make in under an hour and won’t load your kids up with sugar the way ice cream or candy does. Lemon bars make a perfect dessert for Easter dinner, a summer barbeque, or for any week night dinner.
To make lemon bar crust, you will need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- Preheat the oven. Set the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread a layer of shortening, butter, or non stick spray inside a 9 by 13 inch pan. Remove the butter from the refrigerator for 30 minutes to soften at room temperature.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Cut the butter into the flour until the mixture is crumbly. Butter can be cut into flour using two butter knives in a cutting motion. However, the most effective way to cut butter into flower is to use freshly washed hands and crumble the butter into the flower until the mixture is crumbly.
- Create the crust. Place the crust mixture in the greased baking pan. Use your had to gently press the crust mixture into the baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
To make the lemon bar filling, you will need:
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- Beat the eggs. Place the eggs in a bowl and beat lightly. Add the sugar, lemon juice, and flour to the beaten eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the lemon filling into the crust. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with powdered sugar and cool. Cut into bars and serve.
- A pinch of salt, an actual measurement, is the amount of salt that can be held the tips of the forefinger and thumb.
- While pressing the crust mixture into the pan, dip your hand into a little powdered sugar to keep the crust from sticking to your hand.