Thanksgiving is a time for friends, family and food, but it doesn't need to be rich, calorie-filled food; Thanksgiving is a great time to introduce some light Thanksgiving desserts. In order to help you sit and enjoy everything, including dessert, without shame, we have here a few light Thanksgiving desserts that are sure to please your guests, and fool them into thinking your desserts are just as rich as any others.
Mini apple tarts may be small in size, but not in flavor. The smaller size means a lot fewer calories, and this means your guests can have more then one dessert, or just not feel too full after a big Thanksgiving dinner. This dessert offers a low-fat way to end your dinner on a sweet note.
To make mini apple tarts, you will need:
- Phyllo dough
- 4 large apples
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Make sure the oven is heated so these low-fat apple tarts can cook evenly.
Take the phyllo dough and roll it out, covering it with a damp cloth to keep it from getting dried out. Phyllo dough is great for making all sorts of healthy desserts, but it dries out quickly, so make sure you keep it moist while working with it.
In a mixing bowl, combined the apples (cored, peeled and cubed) with the honey, cinnamon and ginger. Tossing the apples until they are evenly coated ensures a flavor-filled bite for each piece. Apples are great to include in light desserts since they provide a side of fruit.
- Take a cupcake tray and spray each hole with non-stick spray. Cut the phyllo dough into squares, around three inches by three inches. Push down into the cupcake holes and form a cup.
- Fill each cupcake hole with a spoonfull or two of the apple mixture. Continue to do so until the cupcake holes are all filled.
- Bake for about 18 minutes. Poke each tart with a fork, and the apples will be soft, but not mushy. Serve warm or chilled.
Cranberry Angels are another great Thanksgiving dessert. Serving these desserts is a great way to offer a selection that has very little fat and is filled with flavor.
To make Cranberry Angels, you will need:
- Angel food cake
- Cranberry relish (you can make your own or buy some pre-made)
- Pick a pretty plate, and set a slice of angel food cake on it, sitting up. A festive plate is a great way to add Thanksgiving charm to the dessert.
- Place two tablespoons of cranberry relish over the top of the cake, letting it dribble down the sides. The cranberry relish is packed with nutrients and fruit and is a healthy, low-fat topping.
- Garnish with an orange slice if desired. The cake topped with the cranberry relish will have enough presentation on the dessert plate that not much garnish is needed, but you can be as creative as you wish to be. Thanksgiving is a time to show off, so go ahead and show off these light Thanksgiving desserts.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.