Looking for a limoncello recipe? Limoncello is a sweet lemon liquor from Sorrento, Italy. It was invented in the 19th century by an innkeeper, Vincenza Canale, who served her guests homemade lemon liquor as a digestivo (after-dinner drink). You can buy limoncello ready-made, but it's just as easy to make your own, adjusting the sweetness and lemon flavor to your own preferences.
To make limoncello, you will need:
- three pounds lemons
- 16 ounces 190-proof grain alcohol, such as Everclear
- 1-quart glass jar with tight-fitting lid
- four cups sugar
- four cups water
- glass bottles
- Wash the lemons and pat dry. This will remove any pesticides or waxy residue.
- Remove the outer yellow zest from the lemon using a citrus zester or vegetable peeler. Stay away from the white pith; it will make your limoncello recipe taste bitter. Mince the lemon zest.
- Combine the grain alcohol and lemon zest in a 1-quart glass jar with a tight lid.
- Store the limoncello recipe at room temperature, out of direct sunlight, for three to ten days or even longer, if you prefer a stronger lemon flavor. Shake it about once per day. The grain alcohol will soon take on a bright yellow color.
- Heat the sugar and water over medium heat until the sugar dissolves into a simple syrup. Let it cool to room temperature.
- Strain the lemon zest out of the alcohol. Combine the lemon-flavored alcohol with the simple syrup to complete your limoncello recipe.
- Pour the limoncello into glass bottles to store. Serve chilled.
- Use the lemons you zested to make fresh lemonade.
- Add two or three vanilla beans to the lemon zest for a more mellow limoncello with a subtle vanilla flavor.
- Combine limoncello with sparkling white wine for an elegant aperitif (pre-dinner drink).
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!