The list of Super Bowl winners includes some of the greatest franchises to ever play in the NFL. The Pittsburgh Steelers hold the record for the most Super Bowl wins while remaining tied with the Dallas Cowboys for most appearances with eight. Only three teams have won five or more Super Bowls in their team’s histories.
- Pittsburgh Steelers – The Pittsburgh Steelers were Super Bowl winners six times over their illustrious existence. The team won their first Super Bowl in 1974 and won four championships in six years under quarterback Terry Bradshaw. While they made one appearance between the illustrious ‘70s and their the year 2000, they lost that game, their only Super Bowl loss. Ironically, it came to their heated rivals, The Dallas Cowboys, who they beat for two Super Bowl crowns in the ‘70s. Their other two Super Bowl wins came in the 2004 and 2008 seasons.
- Dallas Cowboys – The Dallas Cowboys became an NFL team in 1960 and played in their first Super Bowl in the 1970 season. While they lost a tough game to the Baltimore Colts, they turned around and became one of the most prolific teams in the entire NFL. Dallas beat Miami and Denver in the ‘70s, while losing two of the best Super Bowl games of the era to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Dallas fell off in the ‘80s but rebounded strong in the ‘90s, where they knocked off Buffalo twice and gained revenge against the Pittsburgh Steelers for their ‘70s defeats.
- San Francisco 49ers – The San Francisco was to the ‘80s what Dallas and Pittsburgh were to the ‘70s. They became a Super Bowl winner for the first time in 1981 behind the arm of Joe Montana. The former Notre Dame quarterback went on to lead them to three more titles in the ‘80s and then another Super Bowl in 1994 season with a new leader in Steve Young. Unlike Pittsburgh and Dallas, San Francisco can sit proud knowing they never lost in the big game.
- Green Bay Packers – The Packers were the first ever Super Bowl winners under legendary head coach Vince Lombardi. They won the second championship as well, dominating the NFL thanks to their Hall of Fame coach and legendary quarterback Johnny Unitas. The fact that the Super Bowl trophy is named after their head coach tells a person all they need to know about this team. However, the Packers fell on hard times and didn’t win their third championship until Super Bowl XXXI thanks to quarterback. They also won their fourth title in the 2010 NFL season.
- New England Patriots – It might come as a surprise to hear that the most successful team from the 2000s were only Super Bowl winners three times in the decade. The Patriots won their first Super Bowl in the 2001 season when Tom Brady emerged on the scene and helped head coach Bill Belichick bring a title to the Patriots. It was a nice gift to a city that came close twice in the ‘80s. After falling short in 2002, they went on to win back-to-back titles in the 2003-2004 seasons. They made it to one more Super Bowl after that but lost to the Giants.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.