Loestrin Side Effects
Loestrin side effects are generally mild and usually include symptoms such as headache, bloating, and breast tenderness. Loestrin is a prescription oral contraceptive that is used for the prevention of pregnancy in women. Most women who begin taking Loestrin will not experience any serious side effects, however, there is always the slight chance of an allergic reaction. Below are the common side effects associated with taking Loestrin.
- Headache. Like a lot of prescription medication, Loestrin may cause headache as a common side effect. Headache is generally a very common side effect with most birth control pills.
- Breast pain and tenderness. Tenderness in the breasts is a rather common side effect associated with birth control and oral contraceptives. Breasts may feel more sore than normal and may be tender to the touch.
- Bloating. Many women taking Loestrin as a form of birth control experience bloating as a side effect. This side effect often goes away after taking the pill for a certain amount of time.
- Weight gain. An increase in appetite and changes in weight are often common side effects of taking an oral contraceptive like Loestrin. Some women may experience no weight gain, while others may experience a significant amount.
- Irregular bleeding. With birth control, it is normal for some women to experience irregular bleeding, especially when they first start taking the pill. This is usually nothing to be too concerned about, unless bleeding is heavy or does not stop.
- Decreased sex drive. Some women taking Loestrin may experience a decrease in sex drive. This can be a normal side effect of birth control and any medications that change hormone levels within the body.
- Allergic reaction. While an allergic reaction to Loestrin is very uncommon, it can be serious. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include numbness, weakness, nausea, confusion, vision loss, dark urine, jaundice, sweating, and chest tightness or pain. Seek medical attention as soon as possible if you are experiencing an allergic reaction.