Low platelet count causes bruising easily and blood from clotting properly. Sometimes those with extremely low platelets need medications, surgery or a blood transfusion to help treat the condition. There are numerous of underlying conditions that may cause a person to have low platelets.
- Lupus. Lupus is a very serious condition that can cause the platelets to drop. This condition is when the autoimmune system attacks its own tissue instead of the virus or bacteria in the body.
- Rheumatoid arthritis. RA is known to cause low platelets. It is a very common problem that affects many individuals each year. Over a long period of time rheumatoid arthritis can destroy the ligaments, tendons and cartilage in the body. There are medical treatments that can help treat low platelets and other symptoms associated with RA.
- Bacteria in the blood. Having bacteria in the blood can be very dangerous. The condition can be so severe it can lead to death. It is a very abnormal condition that can strike at any time and causes the blood platelets to drop.
- Medications. Some types of medications may cause a person’s platelet count to drop. Med can cause a low platelet count in men. Medications such as antibiotics and diuretics can cause the immune’s system to destroy platelets. This is why it is important only to take medications prescribed to you by your doctor.
- Hypersplenism. Hypersplenism is when the spleen quickly destroys blood cells in the body. The spleen is used to remove blood cells from the bloodstream.
- Anemia. A person who is anemic experiences a low platelet count. Anemia can occur at any age and can lead to a very serious condition. Anemia happens when the body have a low number of red blood cells.
- Leukemia. Leukemia is a very serious condition that can cause a low platelet count. It is a type of cancer that is found in the bone marrow. The bone marrow produces a large number of abnormal white blood cells in individuals that do not work properly. Individuals have to undergo a lot of medical treatment to help with the symptoms associated with the disease.
- Viral infections. There are many viruses that effect many people each year. But there are some very serious ones such as HIV that can cause the platelet count to be very low and cause individuals more susceptible to other infections that they cannot fight off.
- Liver disease. Liver disease is a very serious condition that can cause severe complications in the body. A low platelet count is just one of the symptoms that can be caused due to the condition. There are different types of treatment that can help individuals with low platelet levels, but it is very important to follow the care and plan of a health care professional.
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic pupura is a rare condition that happens in people. The condition causes blood clots to form in the blood vessels in the body and the blood platelets may become very low. This condition requires immediate medical attention to avoid sudden death.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Shoes Tell Her About You
How footwear can kick-start your dating game—or kick dirt on your grave.