Lucid Dreaming Techniques
Try these lucid dreaming techniques and find out how much awareness and control you can have during your dreams. In a lucid dream, the dreamer is aware that they are dreaming. With a high level of lucidity or mental clarity, a dreamer can actively participate within the dream and may be able to control everything that is going on in the dream. Use these lucid dreaming techniques, have patience and jump into your unconscious.
- Develop Dream Recall: In order to enjoy the journeys of lucid dreaming, you have to be able to remember your dreams. Before going to sleep, think about how you are going to remember some of your dreams when you wake up. Keep a dream journal next to your bed. Upon waking, write down whatever you can recall, even if it is only a vague perception. Talk about your dreams with others. Write or think about them. These techniques will teach your mind to be more aware of what is going on while dreaming.
- Wake-Up: One useful lucid dreaming technique involves waking up. Arising three hours early, staying awake for half an hour and then going back to sleep can encourage more productive conscious dreaming. This is because in the early morning the mind is ripe for dreaming. Dream recall is also more likely because sleep is not as deep as it is in the night and REM sleep begins soon after falling back asleep for a morning nap.
- Identify Signs: Once you start recalling your dreams, you can move onto a very helpful technique for developing your lucid dreaming skills, working with your dream signs. First, look for the signs and symbols that continue to appear in your dreams, such as a forest, a house or an animal. Being aware of these signs it is possible to help yourself become lucid when they appear in your dream. To reinforce this technique, look for your dream signs in your waking life as well.
- Have Intent: This lucid dreaming technique can act as a powerful tool for having a waking dream. Before going to sleep at night or for your morning nap tell yourself you are going to have a lucid dream. Visualize yourself being able to take conscious action within familiar dream sequences.
- Stay Dreaming: The following techniques can be used to stay in a lucid dream. Many times, dreamers will wake-up as soon as they realize they are lucid. To help the body, remain asleep try spinning around in circles or rubbing your hands together. Bringing about physical awareness can help turn the mind back to the dream. Have patience using all of these techniques. With time, clarity will come.