There have been many movies made about the mafia but some of them are actually based on true stories and if you love those kinds of movies then you'll want to learn about mafia movies based on true stories. This list gives you insight on which movies are real and what the stories are behind the films. Here's your list about mafia movies based on true stories.
- "Gangs of New York" (2002) This movie is a true story about a man named Amsterdam Vallon who returns to the Five Points area of New York City to avenge his father's death by a man named Bill the Butcher. Leonardo DiCaprio plays Amersterdam and Daniel Day-Lewis plays Bill the Butcher. They face a final showdown as Amersterdam befriends Bill in order to exact his revenge. The true story took place in 1846 and later in 1862 when Amsterdam returns. This was all due to a territorial war between the Irish immigrants and the native New York citizens.
- "Casino" (1995) This film stars Joe Pesci, Robert De Niro and Sharon Stone about a couple of mobster friends that have a power struggle over a casino and a woman. The real story is based on Frank Rosenthal and Anthony Spilotro. Robert De Niro's character is a Jewish-American called in by the mob to oversee operations at a casino that in the movie was called Tangiers. Joe Pesci's character is sent there to make sure the money is skimmed off of profits and that the mobsters are kept in line.
- "Good Fellas" (1990) This movie is about real-life gangster Henry Hill who got his start in New York and rose to the top of the ranks of the mafia, before rolling on them and saving himself from prison. He later went into witness protection and many of his former cohorts were sent to prison. In the movie, Ray Liotta plays Henry Hill. It also stars Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci. Lorraine Bracco plays Henry's wife in the movie.
- "Donnie Brasco" (1997) This movie is about an FBI agent who successfully infiltrates the mob except he starts identifying more with his undercover life than with his real life. It stars Johnny Depp and Al Pacino. After the film, the real life Bonnano family filed a suit against Sony, Tri-Star Pictures and anyone else involved due to libel; they lost the case.
- "A Bronx Tale" (1993) This is a story about a father who is concerned when his son becomes friends with some local mobsters. It was set in the 60's and stars Robert De Niro and Chazz Palminteri. It is a true story based on Chazz Palminteri's life growing up in the Bronx.
Perhaps you didn't know that some of these excellent gangster movies were based on true stories but each of these are indeed. Hopefully you can revisit a few of these favorites and learn more about mafia movies based on true stories.
– Kim Hill
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
What Your Shoes Tell Her About You
How footwear can kick-start your dating game—or kick dirt on your grave.