Maintaining A Long Distance Relationship
Maintaining a long distance relationship can be tough, but there are ways to make a long distance relationship work. The way you look at the spent time apart can make it a positive and challenging experience. Keeping close to your partner and appreciating time on your own is the balance your relationship needs.
- Make sure you are both on the same page. If you think you are in a long distance relationship that is exclusive and she sees you as one of many guys she dates, there will be trouble. Have the courage to have a discussion about the parameters of the relationship.
- See each other as often as possible. Being together and being able to see her body language and look into her’s eyes can tell you a lot about the relationship. Having some time together to go for a walk or hang out with friends will keep both of you connected.
- Enjoy time on your own. Although you miss your partner, you do have the freedom to enjoy your hobbies, see your family and watch movies she would never want to see. Realizing there will be lots of time you can spend with your partner eventually makes you appreciate this time in the relationship.
- Stay in touch. Even if you don’t have time for long phone conversations every day, you can send email, texts and cards in the mail. Send photos. Talk via webcam so you can see each other. If your partner knows you are thinking about her, it keeps the relationship strong.
- Build trust. Jealousy can crop up when you are in a long distance relationship. Sometimes it is difficult to be reassured when you can’t see each other in person. Don’t put yourself in situations that you know would cause problems in your relationship however innocent they are. For example, if a girl asks for a ride to a party, bring along another friend just to be clear where you stand. It’s not worth it to jeopardize the trust that is so important in a relationship.