Want to learn how to make authentic Mexican tortillas? Mexican tortillas are not sold in stores. Instead, they are made lovingly by hand. Anyone can make authentic Mexican tortillas at home. All you need is a little practice and a good recipe. Authentic Mexican tortillas are much much better than store-bought tortillas. Try this recipe for authentic Mexican tortillas like your grandmother used to make, and taste the difference for yourself.
To make authentic Mexican tortillas you will need:
- 3 cups of flour
- 3/4 cup of shortening or lard
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons of baking powder
- Measure flour into a large bowl. Add salt and baking powder and mix well. Cut shortening, or lard, in with a fork so the mix resembles a course meal. It should look and feel crumbly when picked up in your fingers.
- Pour the hot water over the flour mixture and stir to moisten. Slowly add in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of flour until the dough become pliable. Work the flour into the dough until it no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 30 to 60 seconds. This process works out the bubbles that have formed inside the dough. Place the dough back inside the bowl to rest and cover with a moist towel. Let sit for approximately one hour.
- Separate the dough into twelve balls of equal size, and flatten with a rolling pin. A little flour rubbed on the rolling pin keeps it from sticking to the dough when rolling. Each tortilla should be about the size of your hand.
- Heat a heavy skillet on medium heat and cook each tortilla for approximately one to two minutes on each side or until the tortilla is lightly browned on both sides. The tortillas are kept warm by stacking them between sheets of paper towels and leaving them covered to retain the heat. if you have a tortilla warmer you can always place your authentic Mexican tortillas.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.