Try this elegant Manhattan recipe and serve a dazzling cocktail at your next party. There are several variations of the classic Manhattan that amount to changing the type of liquor used in the mixture. The classic Manhattan cocktail has been considered a fashionably stylish drink by party goers and city dwellers alike for decades. Follow this simple Manhattan recipe or try one of the many Manhattan variations.
To make a Manhattan cocktail, you will need:
- 2 ounces rye whiskey
- 1 ounce Italian vermouth
- 2 to 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- Chilled Martini glass
- Chill a martini glass. Rinse a clean martini glass in clear water and place in the freezer while still wet for 30 minutes. To chill a martini class in a hurry, fill the glass half full with crushed ice. Fill the martini glass to the top with water. Let is stand for three minutes, dump out the ice water, and the martini glass is chilled.
- Fill a mixing glass ¾ full of ice cubes. Add the rye whisky, Italian vermouth, and the Angostura bitters. Stir well and strain into a chilled martini glass.
- Garnish the Manhattan with a maraschino cherry. Serve immediately.
Tips and Warnings:
- A dash is approximately 1/8 of a teaspoon.
- To make a dry Manhattan, use dry vermouth and garnish with a twist of lemon.
- To make a brandy Manhattan, use quality brandy instead of whiskey.
- Always use quality alcohol in mixed drinks to preserve the quality of the drink.