Mardi Gras Cake Decorations
Get the best ideas for Mardi Gras cake decorations and learn how to create an amazing cake that will be the focal point of your party! What your cake is made of is not as important as what you put on it, so it's essential to decorate your cake with the best Mardi Gras cake decorations you can find.
- Colorful beads
- Mardi Gras masks
- Small Mardi Gras plastic figurines
- Green, purple, yellow and white frosting
- White or yellow cake
- Pastry bag and tips
- Frosting knife
- Prep the cake. The first step in learning how to use Mardi Gras cake decorations is to work with a prepped cake. Bake it according to package directions and allow it to cool. Then place the cake in the freezer for several hours. This will make the cake much easier to ice and decorate.
- Decrumb the cake. Once the cake is chilled, use a soft pasty brush to decrumb the cake. No matter how nicely you decorate your cake, it won't look good with crumbs stuck to the frosting and/or decorations. Remove all crumbs and place the cake on a flat surface.
- Ice the cake. Use a frosting knife to smoothly apply the icing. Select which color you want to be the base of your cake. Traditionally, Mardi Gras cake decorations include green, purple and yellow. White icing will be used to write messages directly on the cake.
- Add the Mardi Gras cake decorations. The best part of any Mardi Gras cake is the decorations you put on it. Remember, you want the cake to be bright and colorful. Mardi Gras beads, masks and figurines can be used to attractively decorate the cake. Be bold! There's nothing subtle about Mardi Gras.
- Accent the cake. Once you have your decorations in place, accent the cake with the other icing colors. Use a pastry bag to pipe icing around the decorations and make your cake stand out. Use white icing to write messages or simply make squiggly lines with the white icing to add visual appeal.
Once you have your cake decorated, place it back in the refrigerator to help it maintain its form. Pull it out just before your Mardi Gras celebration starts.