Looking for Mardi Gras New Orleans side dishes? Everyone knows about the seafood-based main dishes enjoyed during the Mardi Gras season, and who doesn’t know about the traditional King Cake? But what about side dishes? Mardi Gras means “Fat Tuesday” and is celebrated on the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. Ash Wednesday is the official start of the season of Lent, traditionally a season of fasting for many Christians around the world. Mardi Gras is often viewed as a last chance to celebrate and go all out before the season of Lent begins, and New Orleans is by far the most famous location for this celebration of food and merriment, parties and parades. New Orleans is a melting pot of cultures. It’s famous for its Cajun and Creole styles of cooking. Here are a few recipes that will complement the seafood- and sausage-based main dishes that are the staple of the cuisine that is so famous in New Orleans.
Grilled mushrooms are a great little side dish that can be served with seafood, chicken and other meaty main dishes. Add chopped onions and then serve this with steaks and baked potatoes. To make grilled mushrooms for Mardi Gras, you will need:
- 1 pound mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and slice the mushrooms. Never clean mushrooms under running water. Use a damp paper towel to clean them.
- Add the garlic to the melted butter and oil and sauté lightly.
- Add the other spices and continue to sauté until the mushrooms are tender.
Pancakes and crepes are not just for breakfast anymore, and they are often served as a side dish during Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Here are simple recipes for both pancakes and crepes. To save time when you are entertaining, you can make these ahead of time or purchase them ready-made from a store. Have available as filling jellies and jams that can be rolled into the pancakes and crepes by your guests. To make light, sweet crepes, you will need:
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Sift together all dry ingredients, leaving a well in the center of the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and add the remaining liquid ingredients.
- Mix the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients by adding them into the well.
- Coat a frying pan with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Pour the crepe batter lightly into the pan and roll to coat the bottom lightly. Cook, turning once, until lightly browned.
Candied sweet potatoes are a great recipe for Thanksgiving and are a favorite among Mardi Gras celebrants in New Orleans, so what better side dish to serve on this occasion? To make candied sweet potatoes, you will need:
- Sweet potatoes
- Cinnamon (optional)
Boil the sweet potatoes until they are fork-tender. After they have cooled off, peel and cut into one-inch rounds.
- Place the rounds into a lasagna-style casserole dish. They can touch, but try not to overlap them.
- Cut and dot pieces of butter onto each sweet potato round.
- Sprinkle with sugar and bake at 350 degrees until the sugar melts and the potatoes are hot and bubbly. While baking, continue to baste with the melted butter and sprinkle on more sugar. Needless to say, this is not a calorie-free or low-fat dish, but it is worth all the laps you will need to do later!
Whatever you decide to eat as a main dish during Mardi Gras, these simple and easy Mardi Gras New Orleans side dishes will go well as accompaniments and are quick and easy to prepare so that you too can enjoy the party.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…