Try this quick and easy mashed sweet potato recipe for a unique side dish that will go with any meal. Most diners think of sweet potatoes as a side dish for Thanksgiving dinner but sweet potatoes are a healthy replacement for standard white potatoes. Enjoy a better and richer flavor potato choice with mashed sweet potatoes.
To make mashed sweet potatoes, you will need:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes or yams
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup pancake syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Prepare the sweet potatoes. Scrub the sweet potatoes under running water. Use a vegetable peeler to peel off the sweet potato skin. Cut the peel sweet potato into half inch cubes.
- Place the sweet potato cubes in a large saucepan and cover with two inches of water. Bring the water to boil over a high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for fifteen minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender. Test the sweet potatoes for tenderness by inserting a fork. Drain the cooked sweet potatoes in a colander. Return the drained sweet potatoes to the sauce pan.
- Add butter, pancake syrup and salt to the cooked sweet potatoes. Use an electric mixer or a handheld potato masher to mash the sweet potatoes. Serve hot.
Place the mashed sweet potatoes in a small casserole dish, sprinkle with half cup buttered bread crumbs and bake for twelve minutes at 350 degrees F to give the mashed sweet potatoes added flavor.
Do not over bake the mashed sweet potatoes to avoid drying them out.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
You’re Not a Man Unless You Can Cook These 5 Meals
You're not off the hook: This list includes dessert.