Try this quick and easy mashed sweet potato recipe for a unique side dish that will go with any meal. Most diners think of sweet potatoes as a side dish for Thanksgiving dinner but sweet potatoes are a healthy replacement for standard white potatoes. Enjoy a better and richer flavor potato choice with mashed sweet potatoes.
To make mashed sweet potatoes, you will need:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes or yams
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup pancake syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Prepare the sweet potatoes. Scrub the sweet potatoes under running water. Use a vegetable peeler to peel off the sweet potato skin. Cut the peel sweet potato into half inch cubes.
- Place the sweet potato cubes in a large saucepan and cover with two inches of water. Bring the water to boil over a high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for fifteen minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender. Test the sweet potatoes for tenderness by inserting a fork. Drain the cooked sweet potatoes in a colander. Return the drained sweet potatoes to the sauce pan.
- Add butter, pancake syrup and salt to the cooked sweet potatoes. Use an electric mixer or a handheld potato masher to mash the sweet potatoes. Serve hot.
Place the mashed sweet potatoes in a small casserole dish, sprinkle with half cup buttered bread crumbs and bake for twelve minutes at 350 degrees F to give the mashed sweet potatoes added flavor.
Do not over bake the mashed sweet potatoes to avoid drying them out.