Mat Wrestling Moves
Mat wrestling moves can be used in practice or during a competitive wrestling match to help you dominate. The best thing to do is to practice these various moves with a partner before the match. The more you practice, the easier these mat wrestling moves will be to use on an opponent under the pressure of a real match.
- Takedown There are many different variations on a mat wrestling move takedown. However, the goal of all wrestling takedown moves is the same: to get your opponent down on the mat. This will allow you to execute other moves, and you’ll gain points at the same time. The two most popular takedown moves are single leg takedown and double leg takedown, which both involve gripping behind the knees and pulling forward.
- Mule Kick This mat wrestling move is just as effective as it sounds. Basically, you need to get your opponent into a submissive position while standing on the mat by gripping his wrist and forearm. Move your opponent behind you and pull him forward until his chest is against your back. Then, reach your leg backwards for a forceful mule kick.
- Headlock Get behind your opponent and lock his head in your arm. Squeeze on either side and keep the front of his neck tucked tightly into your elbow. This will effectively control his head and make it difficult for him to make any wrestling move on you.
- Downblock For this mat wrestling move, you need to lock arms with your opponent. Then, rotate your body slightly so you have a clear shot at your opponent’s leg. Lift your leg for a straight leg kick at your opponent’s knee. This will take him off balance. Now, you can push your whole body forward and take him down to the mat.
- Fireman’s Carry This mat wrestling move allows you to lift your opponent and slam him down onto the mat, even if he’s got some weight on you. Drop to your knees in front of him on the mat and then wrap your arms around him waste. Lunge into his stomach so he falls forward. This will allow you to lift his legs off the ground and flip him around onto the mat. This type of move can get you a lot of points during a match.