Want a good mayonnaise recipe? In the old days, people made mayonnaise from scratch. That is where the idea that you can't leave mayonnaise out at room temperature, or anything with mayonnaise on it, came from. These days, mayonnaise that is manufactured has many preservatives it in, so this is not actually the case anymore. However, if you make homemade mayonnaise, you will need to keep it refrigerated. Here's how to make this mayonnaise recipe.
What you need to make this mayonnaise recipe:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp of powdered mustard
- 3/4 tsp of salt
- 1/8 tsp of sugar
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 and 1/2 cups of olive oil
- 4 tsp of white vinegar
- 4 tsp of hot water
How to make this mayonnaise recipe:
- Beat together ingredients. Put the egg yolks, sugar, salt, mustard, pepper and just 1 tsp of vinegar into a bowl and beat them together.
- Add oil slowly. Next, drop by drop, add in just 1/4 cup of olive oil while beating continuously.
- Add some water and vinegar. Beat into the mixture just 1 tsp of hot water and 1 tsp of vinegar.
- Add more oil. Add in another 1/4 cup of oil, drop by drop as before while beating continuously.
- Add more water and vinegar. Beat in another 1 tsp of hot water and 1 tsp of vinegar.
- Add more oil. Add in another 1/2 cup of oil in a fine stream, still beating continuously.
- Mix in remainder of water and vinegar. Beat the rest of the hot water and white vinegar into the mayonnaise.
- Add remainder of the oil. Beat in the rest of the oil.
- Cover and store. You can cover and store this mayo in the refrigerator for up to one week. Makes 1 and 1/2 cups of mayonnaise.
That's all there is to making this homemade mayonnaise recipe. If the mayo is too thick for your liking, you can always thin it out a bit by adding some warm water to it. Homemade mayonnaise has a richer, fuller taste to it than jarred mayonnaise, so you may find out you prefer it. You can also make flavored mayonnaise by adding roasted garlic or your other favorite spices to it.