Merlot food pairing is a simple task to master, you only need a few basic background rules. Number one, forget everything you hear about how only certain wines go with certain foods. Wine connoisseurs aren't the only people who can enjoy wine, normal people can too and you don't need a wealth of knowledge to do it. Here's a few tips to get you started with merlot food pairing:
- Choose your wine, then choose your dish to accompany it. This may sound backwards, however, if you truly want to match the finest of flavors, this is the way to go. Merlot is probably the most popular red grape wine in the world. There are many varieties and flavors to choose from. You will find wine with hints of robust plum and chocolate flavors to wines with hints of pepper and spice. Once you choose a wine, start creating your main course.
- Match merlot wines with fatty or heavy meats. Perhaps this is the only supposed wine pairing "rule" you may want to adhere to. The full-bodied merlot is robust enough to stand up to heavy meats such as t-bone and porterhouse steaks, and you often see it paired with duck as well. Merlot and red meat food pairings go hand in hand.
- Don't shy away from pastas. Like heavy meats, merlot can also stand up to pastas with heavy sauces such as Alfredo and Bolognese. Think hearty foods when you practice merlot food pairing.
- Think merlot and cheese. Yes, merlot food pairing extends to cheeses and fruits too. Again, think along the lines of heavy robust flavors like cheddar, brie, and blue cheese. For fruits try prunes, apricots, and red grapes. Fruits served in heavy syrup like pears work well too.
- Try merlot with spicy ethnic foods. Pungent spices like cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper are great merlot food pairings. The bite of spice, with a swish of a dry, earthy merlot makes a brilliant pair.
A good rule of thumb with merlot food pairing is to try nearly anything once; you never know what flavors you might like thrown together. Try varieties from different regions and price ranges. Experimenting is the wine lovers' game.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.