Have an international dessert tray this Christmas by following this Mexican Christmas cookie recipe. Mexican Christmas cookies, called biscochito, are a Mexican tradition served at celebrations and holidays. Mexican Christmas cookies are flavored with crushed anise seeds and topped with sugar and cinnamon. Spicy biscochito cookies are so popular they were voted the official state cookie of New Mexico in 1989.
To make Mexican Christmas cookies, you will need:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup lard or shortening
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. anise seed, crushed
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- Prepare dry ingredients. Place theaAnise seed in a small Ziplock bag, force the air out of the bag before sealing it and use a rolling pin or glass bottle to press back and forth across the bag to crush the seeds. Measure the flour into a large bowl, add baking powder and crushed anise seed, and mix well. Mix cinnamon and ¼ cup granulated sugar in a small dish and set aside.
- Prepare the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl combine eggs, sugar, vanilla and lard. Mix thoroughly until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Make the cookie dough. Slowly add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Mix until the flour is absorbed before adding more flour to the mixture. The cookie dough should be the consistency of pie crust dough, which is thick and moist.
- Make the cookies. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Once the dough is completely blended, place the dough on a lightly floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll the dough ½ thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut the cookies. Dip the top of each cookie in the sugar and cinnamon mixture and place on a cookie sheet with the sugar cinnamon side facing up. Bake the cookies for twelve to fifteen minutes. Remove them from the oven and place on a wire cooling rack.
- The rim of a small glass can be used as a cookie cutter. A wine or glass bottle can be a substitute for a traditional wooden rolling pen.
- Do not overbake the Mexican Christmas cookies to avoid drying them out.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.