A Mimosa drink is light and refreshing anytime. The combination of orange juice and Champagne make this a drink that can be served with most types of food. Traditionally, Mimosa drinks are served on special occasions at brunch. A variation of the standard Mimosa makes it a drink that is perfect for any holiday celebration. Mimosa drinks are equally delectable during the cold winder months or the hot summer months and perfect for spring celebrations.
To make a Mimosa drink, you will need:
- Orange Juice
- Orange slices
- Crushed ice (optional)
- Start with a fluted Champagne glass. It is a matter of personal preference to chill or not chill the glass. To chill the fluted Champagne glass quickly, fill it with crushed ice and water. Wait three minutes for the glass to chill before pouring out the ice and water. The fluted Champagne glass can be chilled in the freezer for 30 minutes. Rinse the glass in clear water and place in the freezer while it is wet.
- Make a Mimosa drink. Pour two ounces fresh chilled orange juice into the fluted Champagne glass. Fill the glass by pouring Champagne over the orange juice and serve.
- Variation of Mimosa drinks. A simple variation of a basic Mimosa is to make it in a wine glass instead of a fluted Champagne glass. Fill the wine glass half to three quarters full of crushed ice. Pour three parts of fresh chilled orange juice and two parts cold Champagne over the crushed ice. Garnish the glass with an orange slice.
- Make a Grand Mimosa. Make a basic Mimosa and add a tablespoon of Grand Marnier Liqueur to the Mimosa.
- Make a Poinsettia. Make a basic Mimosa but substitute chilled cranberry juice for the orange juice. This makes a great drink for the holidays.
- Non alcoholic Mimosa. For those who do not drink alcohol, make a non alcoholic Mimosa by using lemon lime soda instead of Champagne. Garnish with a lemon wedge.
Tips and Warnings:
- Mimosa drinks are much better when the Champagne and orange juice are chilled and mixed together when very cold.
- When adding crushed ice to a Mimosa drink, the melting ice will dilute the drink and change the flavor.