Mojito Mix: How To Make
We’re going to give you the perfect Summer BBQ cocktail idea: Mojito mix – how to make it ahead to save yourself time so you can enjoy your guests while still wowing them with your bartending skills. Mojitos are widely popular, but time-consuming to prepare to order. If you take some time before the party to put together these fresh ingredients, you can serve up spectacular Mojitos without the need for pre-fab mixes that can dull the flavor and flair of traditional Mojitos.
- Fresh limes
- Fresh mint leaves
- Brown Sugar
- Club soda
- Angostura Bitters
- White Rum
Step One: Make Simple Mint Syrup. This step can be completed days before the party.
- Heat 1 cup of water, 2/3 cup of sugar, and 1/3 cup of brown sugar until all sugar is dissolved. Be sure to stir frequently to prevent sugar from sticking to the pot and burning, if you’re using the stovetop.
- Add approximately ¾-1 cup of fresh mint leaves to sugar water. Allow mint leaves to steep for approximately 30-45 minutes.
- Remove leaves and store sugar water in an air-tight container. Refrigeration is not required, but can extend the life of your mint sugar water. (Sugar water will keep for several days.)
Step Two: Mixing it up. This step can be completed the morning of the party.
- Pour 1 part simple mint syrup to 2 parts white rum. For example, to make a 32 oz pitcher of mix, you would use approximately 10 oz of simple syrup to 20 oz of rum.
- Place sugar/rum mixture in the refrigerator until ready to prepare drinks for guests.
Final Step: Getting ready to serve.
- In a tall glass, pour 3 parts sugar/rum mix to 1 part club soda. Be sure to leave enough room for ice!
- Add one or two dashes of Angostura bitters. Go easy! Don’t add too much – just a few drops will do.
- Fill glass with crushed ice. Garnish with a lime wedge or mint leaf and serve!
Tips: For a real Cuban look and feel, add lime pieces and fresh mint leaves to the bottom of the glass before adding rum and soda. Muddle the lime and mint with a large spoon for added flavor!