A novice may feel like it is hard to find a proper Muay Thai conditioning routine. Muay Thai is a martial art that originated in Thailand and is known for its brutality and efficiency in close quarters fighting. If you lack a proper Muay Thai conditioning routine, browse this list for ideas:
- Sprint. Sprinting builds explosive power in the leg and strengthens the quadriceps. Sprinting strengthens your cardiovascular system and prepares your body to summon massive amounts of energy for short periods of time. It is a great workout to strengthen your core while also benefiting the muscle growth in most of your body.
- Jump rope. Jumping rope builds endurance, stamina and strengthens the calf muscles. Jumping rope also burn calories ,which will lead to a leaner body. Lean muscle is necessary for maintaining speed, explosive strength and pique physical condition for a fight. A great exercise for those looking to lose weight for an upcoming Muay Thai match.
- Jogging. Long distance jogging builds stamina, allows for a lean body by burning many calories and strengthens the legs and core. Jogging is a great way to warm up before an intense workout or become leaner to reach a weight goal.
- Benchpress. Weightlifting is not the primary way to condition yourself for Muay Thai. When weightlifting, keep in mind that you are trying to build strength and endurance opposed to muscle mass. With this in mind, you should focus on lighter weight and higher repetitions.
- Squats. Squats are a great workout for the quadriceps and promote the production of human growth hormone. As previously said, weights are not the emphasis in this Muay Thai conditioning routine. You should focus on lifting lighter weights and performing a fairly large amount of repetitions. This exercise is not a necessity for a proper Muay Thai conditioning routine and many teachers may leave it out, but it does a lot to improve the strength of your legs.
- Deadlift The deadlift is a great compound workout that targets the back area while also strengthening the core and forearms. Keep in mind the rule previously stated for lifting weights when performing this.
- Power clean The power clean builds explosive power and is an excellent full body exercise. Technique is important for this workout and the results are often quick and pleasurable. Heavier weights should be done with this just because it may not be much of a challenge with lower weights, but keep in mind that you are lifting for strength and not muscle mass.
- Shadow boxing. Shadow boxing is when you practice striking without an opponent. You are merely striking air. This exercise conditions your mind for a fight, allows you to perfect your striking technique if you are actually taking note of your strikes, builds stamina and helps instill muscle memory. Shadow boxing is a great way to start a Muay Thai conditioning routine because it allows novices to better their striking technique. Some instructors recommend holding light weights to increase your punching speed, although this is not a necessity.
- Punching bag. The punching bag is a good way to condition your wrists and fists for punching an opponent or target. The punching bag increases the punching power of the user because it allows them to focus on using as many muscles as possible while maintaining as perfect a form as possible.
- Hitting the pads. The pads help improve accuracy, which is necessary of all Muay Thai fighters. Accuracy allows Muay Thai fighters, or fighters in general, to accurately connect their strikes with the vital points on an enemy. In a fight, your accuracy may degrade as the time goes on, so devote a sizeable amount of time to practicing on the pads in order to simulate an actual match and enhance your muscle memory. The amount of time practicing should be near the expected fight length if you are serious about improving your accuracy.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.