Learn to ease pain with these muscle relaxer medications. Please note, these muscle relaxer medications are only available by prescription from your healthcare provider as treatment for back pain. Remember to always ask you healthcare provider about the medications you are prescribed.
- Diazepam (Valium). This muscle relaxer medication is for short-term use. A typical dosage is five to ten milligrams every six hours for a two week period. Diazepam aids in relieving back pain that is associated with muscle spasms. The main side-effect associated with this muscle relaxer medication is that it is habit forming and can disrupt a patient’s sleep cycle. Diazepam is also a depressant and can worsen depression associated with chronic pain.
- Carisoprodol (Soma). This muscle relaxer medication is also for short-term use. A typical dosage is 350mg every eight hours for a two week period. Carisoprodol can be habit-forming, and should not be used in conjunction with alcohol or other sedatives.
- Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril). Unlike many other muscle relaxer medications, Cyclobenzaprine can be used long-term. Cyclobenzaprine has a similar chemical structure to many popular antidepressant medications. A typical dosage is ten milligrams every six hours. This muscle relaxer medication could also be prescribed as a sleep aid. Side effects include impairment of physical and mental functions.
- Chlorzoxazone. This muscle relaxer medication is another that can be used on a long-term basis. It is typically prescribed to relieve muscle pain and stiffness in combination with physical therapy. Common side effects include upset stomach, drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness and weakness; these side effects are normal and you should only consider contacting your doctor if they are extreme. You should contact your healthcare provider immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms, however: skin rash or itching, yellowing of the skin or eyes and stomach pain.
- Metaxalone. This muscle relaxer medication is similar to Chlorzoxazone. Typically, this medication is prescribed for long-term use. Common side effects include drowsiness, dizziness, upset stomach, vomiting, headache and nervousness. However, you should seek medical assistance if the following symptoms occur: skin rash or itching, yellowing of the skin or eyes, unusual bruising or bleeding, unusual tiredness or weakness and seizures.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.