If you’ve had "Oracular Spectacular" and "Congratulations" spinning on repeat for some time now, it might be worth checking out some more music like MGMT. Certainly studio perfectionists, MGMT’s sound is crisp, lush and interesting. They have great command of hooks while managing to maintain a certain eccentricity about them. Lucky for fans of their music, several other bands nail down a similar vibe. Check them out below.
- Animal Collective Many consider this band to be a big influence on MGMT’s album “Congratulations.” Animal Collective, especially with their latest two albums “Merriweather Post Pavillion” and “Fall Be Kind” incorporate heavy studio effects in their electronic-based music. They have the same kind of trippiness that MGMT is so famous for, too. At times Animal Collective can border on the avant-garde, but the release in their hooks and choruses is nearly unmatchable by other contemporary artists.
- M83 Indie electronic giants M83 has had a run almost concurrent with MGMT. They are known for heavy use of electronic instrumentation and a booming, sweeping quality to their music. Similar to MGMT’s "Time to Pretend" or "Electric Feel," M83’s catalog has several tracks that pack enough of a punch to send chills down your neck–in a good way.
- LCD Soundsystem James Murphy’s group LCD Soundsystem is a surefire recommendation for MGMT fans. You can think of them as a very danceable counterpart. Songs such as “All My Friends” and “Someone Great” have the same epic quality that much of MGMT’s music has. Tracks from LCD’s latest album “This is Happening” fit perfectly on any party playlist that includes MGMT. Note: Pay attention to Murphy’s lyrics. They’re poignant, funny and, at times, moving.
- Passion Pit Known for their fantastic pop sensibilities, the members of electronic band Passion Pit share the immediately likable quality that MGMT has, while being able to veer off the beaten pop path. Tracks such as “Sleepyhead” and “Little Secrets” have great rhythm and shimmering electronic melodies cascading over a finely-tuned falsetto. Passion Pit, like MGMT, makes for some seriously feel good music.
- The Radio Dept. This band is like a more laid back, ambient version of MGMT. Their latest album “Clinging to a Scheme” is expertly mixed and produced. Any true music fan can appreciate the atmosphere their electronic brand of indie pop exudes. Rhythm purists will find this album especially enjoyable, as the drum samples are superior throughout The Radio Dept.’s catalog.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…