With the growing need for healthy food, mustard greens recipes will give you great options in your kitchen. You will have the chance to experiment with these spicy leaves that are an excellent source of vital anti-oxidants and minerals, such as vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin E and carotenes. Mustard greens also provide essential minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, and selenium, among others. It’s been said that regular consumption of mustard greens will prevent arthritis, osteoporosis, iron deficiency, anemia and certain types of cancer. Green mustard crops have been cultivated since ancient times in Himalayan fields. Spicy, pungent mustard greens increase their flavor from November to March. If you haven’t used mustard greens in your cooking, this is your chance to try a new exotic ingredient.
Mustard Green Spicy Soup Recipe
- 4 cups mustard greens, stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 1 can (16 oz.) garbanzo
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chicken breast, shredded
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Sautee the onion until transparent.
- Add the carrot, celery, bell pepper, garlic and seasonings.
- Cook for three minutes over medium-high heat, stirring often.
- Add the chicken broth and the shredded chicken, tomatoes and mustard greens.
- Stir in the peanut butter and simmer fifteen minutes.
- Serve, and garnish with crushed peanuts.
Mustard Green Pickled Recipe
- ½ lb. mustard greens, washed and stems trimmed (keep the stems)
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 3 jalapenos, split lengthwise
- Combine the two cups of water, sugar, salt, oregano, all spice and vinegar in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, and let it cool for ten minutes.
- Place stems, mustard green leaves and chiles into a clean glass jar.
- Pour hot liquid over the greens until completely covered.
- Allow to cool it completely and refrigerate for at least three days before using.
Sautéed Mustard Greens Recipe
- 20 collard green leaves, choped
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp. pecans, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- Heat the olive oil in a frying skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and sautee until golden.
- Add the greens, soy sauce and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until greens are bright green. About four minutes.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds and pecans, and serve hot.
Italian Zucchini and Mustard Greens Recipe
- 3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup mustard greens, thinly sliced
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the zucchini, the mustard green slices and the mushroom in a casserole dish.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients, except the cheese.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Serve hot.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”