There are eight NFL teams that started the first NFL season in 1933 and found their way into the 21st century. The NFL team names may have changed over the years, but the franchises remain intact. See if one of your favorite NFL teams was one of original eight teams in 1933.
- Arizona Cardinals. The Cardinals franchise started in 1933 as the Chicago Cardinals. This was one of the more-traveled NFL teams as it moved to St. Louis in 1960 and then finally landed in the state of Arizona in 1988. The Cardinals franchise has no Super Bowl wins but has made an appearance in the big game.
- Chicago Bears. The "Monsters of the Midway" is one of the fortunate NFL teams that has kept its name over the years. The Bears franchise won the NFL championship six times and then won a Super Bowl in 1985.
- Detroit Lions. The Detroit Lions played their first season as the Portsmouth Spartans, but changed their name to the Detriot Lions in 1934. The Lions won four NFL championships before the NFL-AFL merger, but have never been to a Super Bowl.
- Green Bay Packers. The Green Bay Packers have always been the Green Bay Packers and they are one of the most famous NFL teams in the world. Prior to the Super Bowl era, the Packers won six NFL titles. The championships did not stop when the Super Bowl arrived as the Packers have won the Super Bowl four times.
- New York Giants. Many sports fans do not realize it, but the New York Giants are one of the original 1933 NFL teams. The Giants won three NFL championships prior to the Super Bowl era, and then won three Super Bowls up to 2007.
- Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles formed in 1933 and became a mainstay in the original NFL. The Eagles have never won a Super Bowl, but they did win three NFL titles prior to the NFL-AFL merger.
- Pittsburgh Steelers. When the Pittsburgh Steelers started, they were called the Pittsburgh Pirates. After seven years of confusion between baseball and football fans, the football team changed its name to the Steelers and took on the logo of one of the largest steel companies in Pittsburgh. The Steelers never won an NFL title prior to the Super Bowl era, but they are one of the most succesful teams since the merger with six Super Bowl wins.
- Washington Redskins. The Redskins franchise started in Boston as the Boston Redskins. But after only three seasons, the franchise moved to Washington where it has been ever since. The Redskins won two NFL titles prior to the Super Bowl era, and then won three Super Bowls after the merger.