Popular diets like the Atkins Diet are based on eating no carb foods and maintaining a low carb diet. These are foods containing no carbohydrates at all. No carb foods are mainly red meat, lamb, pork, poultry, fish, and several types of hard cheeses. There are several types of oils and dietary fats that are no carb foods. The good news is there is no need to give up the occasional cocktail when living on a no carb diet. Several types of alcohol have no carbohydrates.
- No Carb Meat. Beef, known as red meat, is a rich source of no carb foods. The list of beef includes veal cutlets, corned beef, chipped beef, dried beef, beef steak, standing rib roast, beef ribs, London broil, and ground beef. Beef can be roasted, fried, grilled, or dried into jerky.
- No Carb Lamb and Pork. Lamb and pork are both no carb meats with a relatively low fat content. Roast and enjoy lamb chops, lamb loin chops, leg of lamb, or an entire lamb, just leave off the mint jelly. Pork is often called the other white meat because it is so lean. Pork can be enjoyed by roasting, frying, or grilling. The list of pork includes pork shoulder, pork tenderloin, pork ribs, baby back ribs, pork link sausages, and ham.
- No Carb Poultry and Fish. Poultry and chicken are great additions to a no carb or low carb diet because they are so versatile. Start with the basics, eggs, which have no carbohydrates. Enjoy roast chicken, roast turkey, roast duck, canned chicken, chicken liver, and ground turkey. Fish is a very healthy choice for a no carb diet because it is so rich in essential vitamins. The list of no carb fish includes broiled halibut, tuna steak, canned tuna, trout, canned sardines, baked flounder, and sole.
- No Carb Fats and Oils. It may seem surprising that fats and oils have no carbs, but there are several. The list of no carb fats includes mayonnaise, salted or unsalted butter, margarine, camembert cheese, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, and Muenster cheese. The list of no carb oils includes sunflower oil, soybean oil, cotton seed oil, vegetable shortening, lard, peanut oil, safflower oil, olive oil, and corn oil.
- No Carb Beverages. As long as the beverage contains no sugar, either processed or natural, it will be a no carb beverage. The list of no carb beverages includes brewed tea, diet soda, and coffee. At cocktail hour, have a gin, rum, vodka, or whiskey cocktail.