Nutmeg High

Have you heard about getting a nutmeg high? It's true. Nutmeg, that spice you probably associate with egg nog rather than dead heads, can cause psychotropic effects on the taker if sufficient quantities are ingested (usually one whole clove is taken to achieve the effects). The compound myristicin is what causes the mental effects. But here is the downside (you knew there'd be a downside, right?): it's a really, really unpleasant "high." Here are the top seven reported effects of smoking, snorting, and eating nutmeg to get high.

  1. Mild hallucinations. This is why people choose to try getting a nutmeg high in the first place. However, these hallucinations are not the intense hallucinations that can be produced by drugs like LSD and psychoactive mushrooms. By comparison, hallucinations from nutmeg are barely noticeable.
  2. Timing. After ingesting nutmeg, it takes the body several hours to process it and for the user to begin to feel the effects. Times of between four to six hours between ingestion and the nutmeg high have been reported, which in itself would make nutmeg an extremely inconvenient drug for recreational use.
  3. Lethargy. Feeling extremely tired and lethargic is a commonly reported symptom of nutmeg use. Some users have reported sleeping on and off for upwards of three whole days.
  4. Dizziness. Many people who have taken nutmeg report feeling off balance and dizzy. This can range from feeling slightly off kilter to feeling extremely unstable.
  5. Nausea. Myristicin, the psychoactive agent in nutmeg, is a poison, so it makes sense that nutmeg will cause nausea. That upset stomach is the body's way of reacting to the poison in the nutmeg.
  6. Paranoia. Many people also report feelings of paranoia while on a nutmeg high. As with the other effects, there is a range of paranoia reported by users of nutmeg, ranging from mild to severe. But no one thinks it's a pleasant experience.
  7. A Horrible Hangover. Nutmeg hangovers are no joke. We're talking worse than that night you overdid it with the tequila here.

So, what is the bottom line? Nutmeg produces a mild "high," but the high is one that is more like having a bad cold or the flu (think nausea, dizziness, lethargy) than anything else and an awful, awful hangover. Not a recommended experience.

show comments

What Others Are Reading Right Now.