Nuvigil is used as a pharmacotherapy for individuals with sleep disorders and although the drug is well tolerated some may experience Nuvigil side effects. These adverse reactions from taking Nuvigil may range from mild to serious side effects.
- Allergic Reactions. This is the most life threatening Nuvigil side effects may initially produce a rash. The allergic reaction may progress to involve other parts of the body system such as the liver and blood cells. This may result to an emergency condition that could manifest with skin rash, blisters, mouth sores, yellowing of the skin and eyes, swelling and difficulty in breathing and swallowing. Fever also occurs and the urine may appear dark in color. Taking of Nuvigil must be discontinued immediately at the first sign of rash.
- Mental side effects. Psychiatric symptoms are common Nuvigil side effects characterized by anxiousness, depression, and aggression. Other manic conditions may also occur that could trigger suicidal behaviors.
- Dose related Nuvigil side effects. Between the 250 mg and 150 mg dose of Nuvigil the side effects are at higher rates in the former dose. However these symptoms are common sequels of Nuvigil side effects in both doses that commonly manifest as depression, rash, insomnia, dry mouth, headache, and nausea.
- Vital sign changes. Nuvigil side effects may produce changes in the blood pressure. These changes however are only minor with mild increased diastolic and systolic pressure reading. It can also increase the pulse rate minimally at 0.9 to 3.5 beats per minute.
- Abuse and dependency. Nuvigil side effects may also occur due to abuse of use and dependence on the drugs by its users. Adverse reactions include psychoactive effects and euphoria. One may feel overly active and aggressive with mood changes common in drug seeking behavior.