To get a conversation started and to keep it going, ask some of these open-ended question examples. Whether you're out on a first date, in a job interview, trying to make a sale or just chatting with someone you've just met, open-ended questions allow you to learn more about that person or the situation. Questions that can be answered with a simple yes or no are not considered to be open-ended questions. Open-ended questions require the person being asked to think about their answer and these questions must be answered more in depth. Using open ended questions is a great way to be genuinely interested in someone you're talking with.
- How did that made you feel? When someone shares a detail or a small bit of information with you, often you want to learn more. Instead of simply saying "Wow!" ask them for how that experience made them feel. A person usually begins talking about something but will stop until you show more interest. Dig a little deeper for a more meaningful conversation.
- Why do you say that? When someone gives a statement that begs more clarification, ask them why. They can't answer yes or no, so this open-ended question will get them thinking about the reasoning behind why they said the first statement in the first place.
- What else would you like to know? This open ended question let's the other person know you're listening to them. If there is a lull in the conversation but you can tell they want to know more, this question will get the ball rollilng again.
- How do you plan to reach that goal? When someone discusses something they want to do or that is important to them, like attending college, this is a perfect way to learn more about them. Ask this open ended question to find out more.
- What made you get started in (fill in the blank)? By asking this open ended question with your topic of interest, you are showing the other person you're interested in them. People love to talk about themselves. If you want to learn why someone became a singer or a writer or whatever occupation they have, ask this question and sit back and listen.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.