Dive into a modern classic and get to know “The Outsiders” movie characters. “The Outsiders” was originally a novel written by S.E. Hinton in 1967. When the book was made into a movie in 1983, every up and coming leading man in Hollywood was given a role as one of "The Outsiders" movie characters. Tom Cruise, Emilio Estevez, pre-Brat Pack Rob Lowe and Matt Dillon can all site roles as "The Outsiders" movie characters as stepping stones to their careers.
- Ponyboy Curtis The youngest of the three Curtis brothers, Ponyboy is the central “The Outsiders” movie character. Ponyboy is perhaps the most complex characters in “The Outsiders.” He’s shy, sensitive and more interested in sunsets and writing poetry than he is acting tough. Don’t think being shy makes Ponyboy a pushover, he may be a poet at heart, but he is quick with a switchblade if he has to defend himself. If C. Thomas Howell is never remembered for anything else, he will always be remembered as Ponyboy Curtis.
- Dallas Winston The role of Dallas Winston solidified Matt Dillon as the new bad boy of American cinema. Dallas is the toughest guy in the crew of Greasers. He’s the one that has done the most time in reform school, has pulled off some of the biggest crimes in the area and has the worst reputation. On the surface, Dallas seems like he is nothing but piss and vinegar, but when Ponyboy and Johnny are on the run for murder, Dallas helps hide the boys. Dallas is the most troubled of “The Outsiders” movie characters. He’s a neglected kid that gets into trouble as a means of survival.
- Johnny Cade Ponyboy’s best friend and confidant, Johnny is the saddest of “The Outsiders” movie characters. He’s abused psychically and mentally by his parents. He spends most of his time sleeping outside or with the Curtises. He is one of the few people that Dallas Winston truly cares for. It’s this combination of friendship and guidance from Ponyboy and Dallas that keeps Johnny on the straight and narrow. Despite having a career that has spanned over twenty years, Ralph Macchio will be best remembered for playing Daniel in the original “Karate Kid,” “My Cousin Vinny” and the sensitive street kid, Johnny Cade.
- Darrel Curtis Long before Patrick Swayze was working his abs in "Dirty Dancing," he was holding down the fort in “The Outsiders.” As the oldest of the three Curtis boys, Darrel has taken it upon himself to keep the family together after their parents die. He works as a roofer and while he will always have love for his brothers and the neighborhood that they live in, he always longs for the more affluent life that will always elude him because of his family situation. Darrel is the father figure of “The Outsiders” movie characters. He’s tough on his two younger brothers, but it is a toughness born of love and sacrifice.
- Sodapop Curtis The middle Curtis brother brings laughter into the crew of Greasers and the Curtis household. For Ponyboy, Sodapop provides the creative encouragement that Darrel often lacks. He understands that Ponyboy is a creative kid that needs guidance more that he needs rules, but since he is only a few years older than Ponyboy, he doesn’t know how to provide it. Sodapop is the only other “The Outsiders” movie character that appreciates Ponyboy’s creative, sensitive side. Long before he joined the Brat Pack, Rob Lowe was melting the hearts of teenage girls everywhere as Sodapop Curtis.
- Cherry Valance Part socialite, part bad girl, Cherry Valance is the girl that every guy wants. And even though she has the cash to run with the rich kids, she takes a shine to the sweet and sensitive Ponyboy. Diane Lane’s portal of Cherry makes her more than a love interest; she is a strong-willed young woman who is torn between doing what is expected and doing what is right. While she doesn’t have a lot of screen time, Cherry Valance is one of “The Outsiders” movie characters that helps give the movie continuity.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.