The P90X program was developed by Tony Horton of Beach Body as a way to help you lose weight, build muscle, and have more energy through following a specialized nutrition plan and the P90X exercises. There are twelve P90X workouts that are put together in different combinations to reach your unique goals and prevent fitness plateaus.
To perform the P90X exercises, you will need:
- P90X DVDs
- DVD player and television or computer with DVD drive
- 6’x6’ space
- Dumbbells and/or resistance bands
- Chin up bar
- Optional equipment: yoga mat, push-up stands, heart rate monitor
- Start by deciding what your goals are. The P90X program is actually three programs, each designed in such a way as to help you reach specific goals – namely whether you want to burn fat (Lean), build muscle (Classic), or build muscle and burn fat (Doubles - essentially Classic with extra cardio exercises). Depending on what you choose, you will follow a different pattern of P90X exercises.
- Customize the P90X Program. In addition, take the time to customize the program. Start by reading the P90X Fitness Guide. In the Guide there is a variety of different suggestions for shaping the P90X Program to fit your goals. You can also customize the P90X Program during the P90X exercises. Within the videos, you are shown ways to modify the exercises to match your fitness level – from beginner to experienced.
- Determine your fitness level. Next, take the P90X Fitness Test. This is a great tool to help you determine your fitness level and make sure that you are ready to start the P90X exercises. While the P90X Fitness Test is no substitute for consulting your doctor, it can help you get a good idea where you are at fitness-wise.
- Make the time. The P90X exercises require about an hour a day, six days a week. If the P90X program is going to work for you, you will have to make the time to do the exercise.
- Only do the activities with you are comfortable. The P90X exercises are intense, so go slow; there is no reason to risk injury. You’ll only delay your goals.
- If you want to get lean fast, add extra cardio. This is the basis of the Doubles program and, if you are already somewhat fit and injury-free, it can be a good way to reach your weight loss goals faster.
- Follow the P90X nutrition plan. The P90X exercises are only a half of the P90X program. You have to make sure you are eating the right things to have enough energy for the P90X exercises, gain lean muscles, and burn fat.