Looking for a Pad See Ew recipe? Pad See Ew, also spelled Phat Si Iu, is a Thai dish made with flat rice noodles and commonly served as street food. The name literally means "soy sauce stir fry." This Pad See Ew recipe makes one serving; for best results, only cook one serving at a time so you don't crowd the pan.
To make a Pad See Ew recipe, you will need:
- one tablespoon vegetable oil
- one tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken, beef, pork or tofu, cut into bite-sized slices
- one cup fresh wide, flat rice noodles
- one cup Chinese broccoli (kai-lan), cut into bite-sized pieces
- one tablespoon light soy sauce
- one tablespoon black soy sauce
- large pinch white pepper
- one egg, lightly beaten
- Heat the vegetable oil over high heat in a wok or large frying pan. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, being careful not to burn.
- Add the meat or tofu. Cook until the meat is cooked through or the tofu is browned.
- Add the noodles and Chinese broccoli. Cook about a minute, stirring constantly, until the broccoli is wilted. Stir in the soy sauces and white pepper.
- Push the noodles aside to create space on the bottom of the pan. Add a bit more oil if necessary, then add the egg and scramble it.
- Remove the Pad See Ew recipe from the pan and serve immediately.
- If you can't find fresh rice noodles for your Pad See Ew recipe, use dried. Blanch them in boiling water and rinse in cold water before adding to the stir fry.
- Chinese broccoli is a leafy green vegetable. If you can't find it, substitute broccoli florets, bok choy or collard greens.
- Black soy sauce is a thick, aged soy sauce with a sweet flavor. You can make a substitute by boiling one part regular soy sauce and two parts palm sugar until syrupy.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
10 Real-Life Heroes Who Inspired Indiana Jones
Legend has it, these guys are the real MVPs.