Paddle Surfing Essentials
These paddle surfing essentials will get you up and going if you want to join in on the action. Paddle surfing has been around since the '60s and originated in Hawaii, but it is quickly growing in popularity. It is a great core workout, and many athletes are using it during their off seasons to keep in shape.
- Paddle Surfing Board. The stand up paddle board is usually longer than a regular surfboard. They are made of fiberglass and epoxy. They range is size from twelve feet to up to nineteen feet long.
- Paddle. The paddle is one of the essentials of paddle surfing. The special paddle is used to propel the surfer across the surface of the water. Most paddle surfing paddles are made from either carbon, fiberglass, or wood. They have a flat blade that runs from six to ten inches in width and is usually oval or round.
- Sunglasses. Although not as essential as the surfboard and the paddle, a good pair of sunglasses is usually needed when you are out paddle surfing. Polarized sunglasses help to cut the glare from the water.
- Deck Bag. This is an other accessory that is not necessarily essential, but it does come in handy if you are on a long paddle surfing trip. A bag that comes with cord netting can attach right to the surf board and keep your gear safe and dry.
- SUP Leash. It is important to protect your board and make sure it stays with you. Using a good leash will attach you to your board in case of a fall.