Every paintball game, whether long or short, needs paintball tactics. With origins in the early 1980's, paintball has since boomed and become a pastime for many people around the world. Paintball is a sport that emphasizes athletic prowess, strategy, and calm on the battlefield. Paintball tactics have served for generations to keep teams from falling apart with the pressures of the game at hand.
- Overwhelming force. You can power through an evenly-spread out line by simply putting all of your players in one area and directly controlling them. Thus, you are able to punch through a weak and flimsy (albeit even) offensive line. Run your team to the opposing captain's squad and eliminate the fool!
- The double split. This paintball tactic requires extreme mobility. You will take half of your team and give the other half to your sergeant, who will command them across a separate flank. Move around quickly and disrupt the central core of the enemies team from two opposing sides; they won't know what him 'em.
- Patience and defense. Just relax and wait for the enemy to come to you. Do not make advances unless needed, and spread out across the field's obstacles. Your team will need to be able to examine the field quickly and communicate tango locations immediately. Basically, you will be waiting for the opposite team to walk right into your keenly observant snipers.
- Wide zone. This tactic in paintball isn't really as employable as most, but it has serious advantages in woodsball. When playing paintball in the woods, the first thing your team will notice is that its threats are 360 degrees around them. A wide zone can employ a circular formation that protects all angles, but leaves it vulnerable to a specific side if a team decides to gang up on one of your players.
- Close zone. Unlike the wide territory used by the "Wide zone", the "Close zone" closes up, albeit with the exact same formation. The advantages are that the line is closer to each other for better communication, aid, and replacement. The disadvantage is that half the team could be wiped out instantaneously due to their close proximity.
There are a variety of paintball tactics out there, but not every one works for your team, scenario, and environment. Keep in contact with your sergeants/team members constantly.