If you are looking for a delicious pear chutney recipe, you should know you have a lot of options. Pear chutney can be prepared in many different ways with different flavors-from sweet to spicy. Making a basic pear chutney to compliment your ham or lamb dishes isn't difficult. A huge advantage of pear chutney is that the recipe can be prepared in advance-no need to scramble at the last minute. While the primary ingredient in pear chutney is, of course, pears, other fruits and spices can be added to put a unique spin on your pear chutney recipe. Read on for more information on how to make and store pear chutney.
To make a traditional pear chutney recipe you will need:
- 10 cups Bartlett pears (sliced and pared)
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped green peppers
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 cups vinegar
- 1 cup crystallized ginger (or grated ginger root)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches in length)
- Fruit jars (for storage)
- Prepare your pear chutney. Once you have gathered your ingredients, you'll need to prepare them for your pear chutney recipe. Slice and pare the pears and finely chop up the green pepper. If you are using ginger root in your pear chutney recipe (instead of crystallized ginger), grate it.
- Combine ingredients for cooking. Mix together pears, green peppers, raisins, ginger, sugar, salt and vinegar in a large kettle or sauce pan. Place cinnamon sticks, cloves and allspice in the cheesecloth and tie it off. Add the cheesecloth to the sauce pan.
- Cook the pear chutney. Once all of your ingredients are in your sauce pan, you can begin cooking your pear chutney recipe. Slowly bring the mixture to a boil. Continue stirring the mixture vigorously as it heats up. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat and allow the pear chutney mixture to simmer for about two hours, stirring occasionally. The mixture will eventually thicken into a syrup.
- Store your pear chutney. Now that your ingredients have been cooked to become pear chutney, carefully pour (or ladle) the mixture into your fruit jars. Seal the jars. Allow the jars to cool thoroughly and store in a cool, dark area.
Pear chutney recipe variations. Consider adding two to three cups of sliced Granny smith apples to your pear chutney recipe. You can also add other fruits, including cranberries. For added flavor, add one cup of chopped onions and/or one jalapeno pepper.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
8 Things All Guys Should Stop Doing by Age 30
You're a man now, dog.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.