Permanent Resident Card Renewal

Need to know about permanent resident card renewal? What is a permanent resident renewal card? First, a permanent residency card allows individuals who were not born in this country to work and reside within America's borders permanently. These cards, also called green cards, must be renewed every ten years and can be filed online or sent by mail.

Upon your green card's expiration, you'll need to get a permanent resident renewal card. Some instances wherein you can renew your permanent resident renewal card include: if there is incorrect data on your permanent resident green card, your current permanent resident green card has been lost or damaged, you were previously a resident but are switching to commuter status or you have legally changed your name. If you'd like to know how to obtain a permanent resident renewal card, peruse this article for some valuable information.

To renew your permanent resident green card, you will need:

  • A paper Form I-90 Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card or
  • An online Form I-90 Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card
  • Supporting identification documents
  • Required fee of $450
  1. Visit to register and fill out Form I-90 on the website. Peruse the provided checklist to ensure you have supporting documentation to prove your identity. Mail the supporting documents to: Nebraska Service Center, Attn: E-Filed I-90 Application, PO Box 87090, Lincoln, NE 68502-7090. Afterward, you will receive an appointment to have biometrics taken. This will involve bringing your appointment notice, a state-issued identification card, a driver's license, military photo identification or a passport or photo identification issued by your country. Be aware that the fees for electronic filing are $365 for the application itself and an $85 biometric fee, which will total $450.
  2. When submitting a paper Form I-90, go to to download a form. You can also download instructions for filling out the form. Also, download Form G-1145 Notification of Application Petition Acceptance. (If you are a conditional resident and your status is about to expire, don't submit this particular form). After filling out the correct form, submit it by mail to USCIS, P.O. Box 21262, Phoenix, AZ 85036. For express mail delivery, send the form to USCIS, Attention: I-90, 1820 E. Skyharbor, Circle S, Floor 1, Suite 100, Phoenix, AZ 85034. Submit a filing fee of $450 for the paper form.


  • You will need a permanent resident renewal card if your green card has already expired, or if it will expire within the next six months.
  • Your permanent resident status doesn't expire, but the permanent resident green card, which is tangible, official documentation of your residency status, must be renewed when it expires.
  • It is especially important to keep your card updated, because it is visible proof of your residency status in the United States of America.
  • Another instance in which you should obtain a permanent resident renewal card is if you have an older version of a green card with no expiration date. In that case you are strongly urged to apply for a permanent resident renewal card.
show comments

What Others Are Reading Right Now.